World organization of photography announced the winners of the international competition Sony World Photography Awards 2018. All the winners were awarded a trip to London and received digital equipment from Sony. Their work will be published in the book the winners and presented at the exhibition Sony World Photography Awards 2018 in the centre of Somerset house (London).
The honorary title of «photographer of the year» among professionals received Alice Tomlinson from the United Kingdom for a series of photos of «Ex-voto» — portraits, landscapes and subject pictures «ex-voto» (offerings in gratitude to the saints).
The title of «photographer of the year» and cash prize of $ 5,000 in the Open competition was awarded Veselin Atanasov (Bulgaria) for the best single photo «Early autumn» — autumn landscape in the National Park Central Balkan.
Alice Tomlinson «Ex-voto»
Veselin Atanasov «Early autumn»
Megan Johnson «Silence»
Samuel Bolduc «Burden»
In the Junior competition, the winner was sixteen-year-old Megan Johnson of the United States for black-and-white photo «Silence». Canadian Samuel Bolduc selected «Photographer of the year» among students for the series of photographs «the Burden of» demonstrating a heavy burden of plastic waste which is nature. The award for «Outstanding contribution in the field photos» was received by the German artist Candida höfer, which has gained worldwide fame thanks to the incredible talent and impeccable technique.
The winners in the categories of Professional competition
- Architecture: Gianmaria Gava, Italy, a series of «Buildings» / 2nd place — Edgar Martins, Portugal / 3rd place — Corentin Folen, France
- Controversial issues of modern times: frédéric Lernered, Sweden, a series of «Ballet in slums» / 2nd place- Margaret Mitchell, UK / 3rd place- Alfio Tommasini, Switzerland
- Creative: Florian Ruiz, France, a series of «White admixture» / 2nd place- Patricia Kuhfuss, Germany / 3rd place — Eduardo Castaldo, Italy
- Current events and news: Samsul Mohd Mohd said, Malaysia, a series of «Life in a refugee camp» / 2nd place- Luis Henry Agudelo Kano, Colombia / 3rd place-Rasmus, Flindt Pedersen, Denmark
- Opening: Alice Tomlinson, United Kingdom, the series «Ex-voto» / 2nd place- Antonio Cibotti, Italy / 3rd place — Maria Petrenko, Ukraine
- Landscape: Luca Locatelli, Italy, a series of «White gold» / 2nd place- Rohan Reilly, Ireland / 3rd place — Tomas Paddle, Poland
- The world and wild nature: Roselen Ramistella, Italy, series «off the beaten path» / 2nd place- Mitch Debrovner, USA / 3rd place- by Wiebke Haas, Germany
- Portrait: Tom Oldham, United Kingdom series «Last brunery» / 2nd place- Anush Babajanyan, Armenia / 3rd place- Andrew Quilty, Australia
- Sports: balázs Gardi, Hungary, a series of «Buzkashi» / 2nd place-Sahwi Behnam, Iran / 3rd place- Matteo Armellini, Italy
- Still life: Edgar Martins, Portugal, a series of «Monologues about death, life and other interludes» / 2nd place- Tristan Spinski , USA / 3rd place — Werner Anderson, Norway
The jury consisted of Mike trow (former photo editor of the magazine British Vogue), Naomi Cass (Director, Centre for contemporary photography), Clare Grafik (head of exhibitions gallery The Photographers’ Gallery), Gareth Harris (chief contributing editor of The Art Newspaper) and Philip Tinari (Director of the Center for contemporary art Ullensa).
Sony Press Centre